How a Lawyer Can Help You With a Driving Under the Influence Case


Driving under the influence (DUI) of alcohol or drugs has serious consequences that could include fines, loss of license, and possible imprisonment.

In addition to facing the legal system, you may face the wrath of your employer, friends, family, and co-workers if you are convicted of DUI – or even if you are arrested but not yet charged. If you have been arrested or charged with DUI, it’s important to retain the services of an experienced DUI lawyer to help you navigate this challenging time in your life and minimize the impact on your personal and professional relationships as much as possible.

What should you do after being arrested for driving under the influence (DUI)?

If you’ve been arrested for driving under the influence, here are five things you should do: 1. Do not admit guilt; 2. Don’t talk to police without your lawyer present; 3. Seek legal counsel right away; 4. Take advantage of bail and release programs; 5. Avoid pleading guilty (it is easier than you think).

Will I lose my license if I plead guilty or no contest to a DUI charge?

The state may or may not revoke your license upon a DUI conviction, depending on your BAC, driving record, and location. For example, in most states, you’ll lose your license if you have three DUIs within 10 years or four within 15 years. Also, some states will revoke your license even if you plead guilty to driving while impaired (wet reckless). Others won’t.

Should I ask for an administrative hearing if I was found to be driving with a BAC above 0.08% but below 0.10%?

If you were found to be driving with a BAC above 0.08% but below 0.10%, you have three options for your license: (1) accept an Administrative Per Se (APS) violation, which will result in revocation of your license for at least 90 days; (2) apply for reinstatement through DMV within 10 days; or (3) request an administrative hearing within 10 days to challenge DMV’s decision.


Is it possible to get out of jail early if I have to serve time for my DUI conviction?

Depending on how long you have to serve for your DUI, there may be ways to get out of jail early. Whether it’s time served, a shorter sentence, or both, it’s worth exploring your options. Your best bet is to contact an attorney and ask if there are any opportunities for you to get out of jail earlier than expected.

Are there defenses against charges of driving under the influence in California that may apply in my case?

There are two main defenses that may apply to your case. They are 1) evidence of impairment due to disease or condition, and 2) lack of knowledge regarding over-intoxication. A lawyer can help you determine if these defenses may apply in your case.

What are penalties for California DUI first offense, second offense, third offense, and subsequent offenses?

When it comes to DUI charges, there are harsh penalties that go along with each charge and level of conviction. This post will dive into what penalties you might face for your first, second, third, and subsequent offense in California.